Friday, November 8, 2013

Thankful Thursday

So every day during November, like most people, I tell Facebook what I'm thankful for. So I thought I'd tell y'all too. :) I'll give you a week full of thankfulness.

So far I've been really bad at it and missed a day or two, so I'll fill it out for you.

November 1st: For my parents. For my mother who has understood me in ways my teenage self would not have believed. For Jim whose name I finally share. I couldn't be happier to have adopted you as my father.

November 2nd: I'm thankful for my education. Women all over the world are facing such backlash for seeking an education. Acid, poverty and marriage stand in the way of so many young girls getting to have what I have. ISU has been so good to me. I only had to pay $40 for this semester. That's unheard of. My scholarships have made it possible for me to make the most of my college career with campus activities and opportunities to travel.

November 3rd: I'm thankful for my best friend, Shannon. Yesterday at Union Board (ISU's programming board) Shannon gave me the Good to the Order with a note that made me cry. She hadn't even given me that yet when I posted about her, but she consistently says exactly what I need to hear, and does exactly what I need to see to be okay. Thank you.

November 4th: I'm thankful for my professors in my major. I always feel better walking out of Dr. Rider's office than when I walked in. She is passionate, incredibly smart, and kind. Dr. Dunbar takes time out of his schedule twice a week to meet with me privately so I can practice speaking German. He wants so badly for his students to do well and is willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.


November 5th: I'm thankful for my job. So many college kids (and real grown-ups for that matter) can't find a job, let alone one they love, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon my boss at the farmer's market. It's a job that challenges my creativity and helps me meet interesting and talented authors. I'm the social media intern. So... basically everything I do anyway, I now do for Tanglewood Press. and Tanglewood Press. and Tanglewood Press. and Tanglewood Press... if you didn't get the memo, I want you to click on all those links and follow us. ;) Thanks.


November 6th: I'm thankful for strong women in my life. Kathi and Rochelle, Mom, Kayla, Grandma, Frau Weir, Aunt Betsy... there are so many I know I'm forgetting right now. They're all movers and shakers. Women that showed me that being opinionated and smart and loud and passionate were good things--were GREAT things to be. A woman can be exactly who she is.
This quote is way too perfect. Didn't even plan to find one that fit so well.
November 7th: I'm thankful for my vegan friends. This is incredibly cheesy, and if I could think of a better way to say it, I would, but they showed me the light at the end of a tunnel I didn't even know I was in. They've shared recipes, humor, advice, and community. I couldn't be more grateful.

November 8th: I'm thankful for Laci Green. She really taught me what it was to be a feminist. She taught me about fat-shaming and slut-shaming and sexuality. In my very darkest time, spring semester of my freshman year, watching her videos taught me about myself and helped me to work through years of shame I'd built up. She convinced me that I was worthy of love and connection. Thank you.
 


PS: Tell me what you're thankful for in the comment section!

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful for you. You have caused me to become more conscious that toss-off comments matter, and that decisions can be made and remade. You have taught me about striving and succeeding - and about striving and blowing it and striving again toward success. You remind me that youth does not equate to foolishness, and that engagement with life's circumstances, regardless of the ultimate result, is why we are here in this physical and emotional space we call our world.

    ReplyDelete